Wednesday, February 9th
6-8 pm Expo, Grainger Hall Plenary Room
8-9 pm Reception, Grainger Hall East Atrium
We talked to Sharon McCabe, Graaskamp Center director of MBA recruiting and career services, on what advice she gives to students preparing for the event. Here are her top 10 tips:
- Attire: Dress professionally. (That includes clean fingernails and fresh breath!).
- Have many copies of your resume, bring a portfolio to hold them. Having your own business card will make you stand out.
- Collect business cards from company representatives. Remember to send a thank you e-mail (or hand-written note).
- When you get to the fair, start with a walk around the room to get your bearings, see where everyone is located.
- Have a story to tell. Practice (out loud) your 30-second elevator speech. Show your passion for real estate. Be confident and friendly. Have a friend ask you questions. Practice! Remember that you want to try to impress every employer, even a company in which you may be less interested.
- Listen to what your fellow students are saying. You can learn from them, too.
- Research all the companies coming to the fair. Know the basics of what they do. Be prepared to say why you would be an asset to their company.
- Check some of the on-line resources for current news about the company: GlobeSt.com, CoStar.com, Real Estate Investment SmartBrief, etc.
- If there is a job description available from the company (company website, BuckyNet, eRecruiting, WREAA website), read it and be prepared to say why you are a good candidate for the position.
- Remember that you are selling both your personality and your skills. Some employers care more about your personality (hard-working, passionate, team-player, self-motivated, quick-study, etc) than about your specific skills. If your experience is limited, stress what you have learned in your classes and on Real Estate Club field trips. If you have leadership experience, make sure you mention that.
Duff & Phelps
Ernst & Young
Fiduciary Real Estate Development
Gorman & Company
Green Courte Partners
JP Morgan Chase
Kohl's Department Stores
NAI MLG Commercial
Ridge Property Trust
State of Wisconsin Investment Board
T Wall Properties