Monday, December 7, 2009

Financial assistance options for your MBA

I know there are probably many of you out there considering submitting an application to the wonderful MBA program here at UW who are wondering how you can afford to take two years off to further your education. Well, you are in luck as I am about to tell you.

There are, of course, a variety of need-based financial aid programs at UW. However, if you don’t qualify for those, there is another option. UW offers a variety of Project Assistantships (PAs) which provide a student with a full scholarship and a stipend for living expenses. These PA positions consist of 13 hours of work per week, typically with one of your professors or your center staff, a small price to pay for your education.

I am currently working as a PA, and I can tell you it has been a great experience for me. This program has allowed me to continue to help support my family while gaining valuable knowledge to move forward in my career. For all those students just finishing up those applications over the next week, take a look into PA positions and make sure to express your interest to the admissions staff. I promise you won’t regret it.

Jeff Swhier is a first year MBA student in the James A. Graaskamp Center for Real Estate at the Wisconsin School of Business. He moved back to the Midwest from NYC to pursue take a position in a property management company and plans to return there after completing his degree.

Visit the Wisconsin Real Estate MBA website for more information on financing your MBA and other assistance available.

Photo by Jeff Miller © UW-Madison University Communications

No comments:

Post a Comment